Re: Trinity on HD+ display

On Monday 14 February 2022 03:27:20 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2022 18.42:44 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > > If you run the command tderandrtray (Trinity resize and rotate), you
> > > will find an icon added to your task bar. That will give you give quick
> > > access to your settings.
>
> I wonder, what's the difference between tderandrtray and xrandr.
>
> I can modify the size of what is shown on my screen with xrandr ans
> --scale. Works well, but if I understand right this will "multiply" the
> pixels for all apps I run, which quite negates the advantages (if any) of a
> 3000x2000 screen.
>
> I can set the resolution to 1680x1050 in tderanrtray. Result seems about
> the same. So tderandrtray is "simply" a TDE front end to xrandr?
>
> Thierry

Instead of "simply", I would say "probably" or "maybe": others will have to
answer that question. Many more options are available in xrandr than in
tderandrtray.

This is a way to enlarge everything in your display, yes, but at the sacrifice
of changing the aspect ratio.

I have the same problem with old eyes, but small icons, etc., don't bother me
so much; it's small letters or some programs that insist on falling back to
Gnome or KDE5 color schemes and can't be changed, so that some stuff isn't
easily visible to me.

Since I copy my home folder back and forth between my laptop and desktop
computers sometimes, I like to keep settings mostly unchanged. In an ideal
world, I would keep the laptop only for travel, or for when I do research in
a library, etc., and I would always work at a proper desk with my desktop
computer and its large screen.

When I move over to the laptop, I change visibility for each item
individually, on an ad hoc basis; e.g., for browser windows by using CTRL+
and CTRL-, and enlarging my media players to double size, etc., rather than
trying to enlarge everything with a single solution.

One could of course go through everything in the system that affects display,
and enlarge the taskbar and clock, and by changing font sizes in every
program. But if, like myself, you try to keep your settings the same, so that
you can use the same desktop on different machines, then you don't want to
make permanent changes.

It may be that there is a better way; if so, I would be glad to know of it
myself.

Bill