Re: KMAIL: Which one do I use for rules?

On 2022-01-19 11:54:38 Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2022 10:22:21 am c. marlow wrote:
> > Hi Ya'll!
> >
> > WOW switching to KMAIL was EASY!
> >
> > I exported the folders one at a time from Claws by going to  FILE >
> > EXPORT FOLDER TO MBOX ( I believe it was?)  And then in KMAIL I went to
> > FILE > IMPORT and select the 2nd option for MBOXES and viola! done.
> >
> > My question is now, which option do I use for Filters?
> >
> > POP filtering? under SETTINGS > CONFIGURE POP FILTERS
> >
> > or MESSAGE > CREATE FILTER
> >
> > Background Info:
> >
> > ALL POP accounts
>
> Hi Chris,  (Welcome to TDE!)
>
> It depends :)
>
> I'm sure someone will correct me with better details.
>
> - POP is (AFAIK) for filtering on the mail server, such that you can
> completely not download and delete messages off the mail server.
>
> - MESSAGE filters are done locally.  I use these exclusivly, as then even
> stuff I think is 'trash' just goes to the trash folder, so I can retrieve
> it as needed.
>
> Note!:  Do make a full backup of your mail before creating filters (of any
> kind) as one typo, or miss click in a drop down, and you can delete mail
> you might want to keep.
>
> Best,
> Michael

	I also use only POP for my email.  There are two ways to set up filters for this:
1.	Right-click on a message; put your cursor on Create Filter; choose the most appropriate
method for matching this kind of message, usually From or Subject (or Mailing-list if it
appears).  Clicking on one of these will build a local filter entry.
2.	Go to Settings => Configure Filters... and build a new filter manually.
	In either case, you will have to decide what folder to put the message in, where in the
list of filters it should be evaluated, and possibly what to call it.  You can also
optionally modify the subject to strip off things like [trinity-users] or such; and in
the Advanced tab of the filter you can do some other things, notably add the filter to
the filter menu so you can test it by itself instead of applying all of the filters; turn
that off once it's working as you like.
	There's nothing to tell you to do it, but if you have set up the spam and virus
filtering, you might want to put them at the bottom of the list so that the filters take
care of the sources you trust before they are checked for spam/virus attributes.  (They
each have multiple parts; if you move them, don't get their parts out of order.)

Leslie
--
   Operating System: Linux
Desktop Environment: Trinity