Re: TDE pre-installation issues and considerations

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 18:53:02 +0100
Mike <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> I am an Arch user on an old but fine 64-bit machine from about 2008. And
> that's one reason I might prefer TDE over mainstream Plasma/KDE, because
> it's probably much lighter on resources and has less overhead and
> dependencies.

[...]
> (2)  KDE 3.5 virtual desktop management
> ---------------------------------------
>
> I am also a fan of different wallpapers for the virtual desktops,
> "pcmanfm --desktop" can do that! – So, is KDE 3.5 able to create
> individual workspaces?

TDE's kdesktop is capable of handling multiple desktops with different
wallpapers—my big machine has 12, and my laptop (an Athlon64x2
from 2008) has six.

> (3)  Conflicts with official Arch KDE/Plasma stuff?
>
> I wonder if there aren't any problems having both modern KDE/Plasma/Qt
> and Trinity's KDE 3.5/Qt packages in parallel? I don't intend to and
> would like to stay with pure Trinity stuff – but couldn't this happen by
> accident though: interfering dependency conflicts, or double versions of
> KDE apps?

In theory, you should be able to install TDE and KDE5 side-by-side—TDE
usually installs in its own subdirectory under /opt or /usr (depending on how
the packages for your distro are set up) to avoid stomping on KDE files, and
part of the reason the TDE project exists is to keep everything functioning
with new libraries (so if there's a dependency conflict, it may be a packaging
bug —please report it so it can be fixed).  There are two things that may trip
you up:

1. Depending on how your PATH is set up, you might get a KDE5 application
starting when you're expecting a TDE application with the same name.  The
solution is to either call the program with a fully qualified path
("/opt/trinity/bin/kedit" instead of just "kedit", for example), or alter your
PATH to put the TDE directories first.  I'm not sure how many of these
are left, if any.

2. Fancy GUI management things for display managers, etc.  I don't know
whether Arch has anything like this, but judging from the number of
complaints that make it to the list, the ones for Debianoid distros often
decide not to play nice with TDE.

Hope that helps.

E. Liddell