On using other init systems in Debian

On November 30, 2021 7:53:53 AM CST, Mike Bird <mgb-trinity@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>One of the key decisions you will make will be systemd vs sysvinit.
>I use sysvinit.

Dear Mike,

This is a bit of an offshoot but if I recall you were the one who told me you use Debian with sysvinit. How did you manage to get it to work? I use Devuan at the moment (albeit with almost every TDE app memory leaking..), but I am aware Debian is opening up to more init systems. I tried Debian a month or so ago and following the wiki's guide to switch inits during installation. While I was successful in changing to sysvinit, I couldn't install packages like synaptic (and more) without it prompting to replace sysvinit with systemd again. Is there something you did to prevent this?