Re: can't install trinity, synaptic says packages are broken

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 03:06:42PM -0800, Gene Heskett wrote:

> So just to get a gui, i've quite a bit of xfce4
> installed but can't find anything that will assign multiple
> workspaces

In Fedora, I use:

Xfce menu > Settings > Workspaces

> so I'm stuck with only one shell at a time to tyry and see
> whats going on.

You don't need multiple workspaces to get more than one shell.

Open one terminal/console in the GUI, then open multiple tabs.

Or open one terminal/console in the GUI, then open another one.

Right now, I'm running Xfce and I have five terminals running with
sixteen tabs. And that's unusually low for me, I normally have a lot
more than that.

> My 7 gigs of old mail is because there are several lists I've never
> expired, so of it going back to 2002. Even getting xfce's default of 4
> workspaces would be a huge help. And I'd be double blessed if I could
> install tde, the whole maryann.

I am confident that your 7 gigs of mail has nothing to do with you being
unable to install TDE. As far as your mail goes, that's just data.

I am also confident that trying to install both TDE and KDE 5 at the
same time it likely to cause grief.

As far as your mail goes, if I recall, you have regular on-going
problems with mail due to its huge size. Are your mailboxes mbox files
or maildir directories? If mbox, that would explain a lot.

After you have fixed your TDE breakage, I suggest you consider
installing Postfix and Dovecot on your machine, moving all your mail
into Dovecot using maildir format, and configuring your mail clients
(Kmail, or whatever) to talk to your Dovecot.

Other people have successfully managed 40GB of mail using Dovecot:

https://dovecot.dovecot.narkive.com/9SeC39Mq/mailbox-size-limit

so I don't think 7GB will push its limits.

But that's a conversation for another day, *after* you have fixed your
broken TDE/Xfce installation. (Don't start rearranging the furniture
while the house's foundations are collapsing.)

--
Steve