Re: TDM not starting in Debian Sid (Preliminary Stable)

On Sun October 31 2021 11:42:06 Hunter Ellett via tde-users wrote:
> But I have an issue. I have installed most core components of Trinity
> (tdebase, tdeaccessibility, tdegraphics etc.) but I always start in a tty
> when booting. I tried to execute the starttde script but it doesnt work.
> Furthermore if I add it to .xinitrc and run startx, it doesn't work. If I
> remove my home .xinitrc file and use startx, the session will start but I
> can't use TDM at all.
>
> Running the script directly is a lot more verbose, telling me that pretty
> much nothing can connect to the X server. I have seen this talked about
> before in the ML but it seems like they solved it. I used to use the
> preliminary testing branch and it worked but I decided to go with stable
> this time and can't seem to get TDM to work at all. That pesky X server.

Hi Hunter,

We're going to need a lot more details.  Systemd or sysvinit or something
else?  What exactly are you doing and what exactly errors result?

You're a lot less likely to encounter problems if you go with the flow.
All Debian packages are designed to start their services when installed
so how are you preventing TDM from starting automatically, and why?

Maybe you just need to install tdm-trinity and reboot?

--Mike