Re: email mess - maybe OT or not

Please note that Bill is replying to Mike Bird, not Gene.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 11:22:28PM -0700, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 October 2021 23:02:34 Mike Bird wrote:
[...]

> > Hi William,
> >
> > Your email quoted in part above contains the following headers:

> Let's see if this email ends up with Gene's address in the headers.
>
> Bill

Yes, it has the same two lines as above.

It should not do this. The In-Reply-To header should refer to Mike's
email, which has this id:

and the References should give a complete chain:

- the first email you sent in this thread;
- Mike responded to that;
- and you responded to Mike.

So in your response, there should be three references:

1. the mystery reference claiming to be from Gene (which should not be
   there, but since it was there, we must count it);

2. the email ID of your first email starting this thread;

3. the email ID of Mike's response.

Instead, only number 1 (the mystery reference) is there. That's not
right! At the very least, the In-Reply-To should be set to Mike's email,
not the mystery Gene email.

Bill, it would be good to eliminate some possible suspects, starting
with the mailing list software.

If you agree, can you please create a new, blank email, using whatever
template you would normally use, and send it *directly* to me at:

    steve at pearwood dot info

Then, if possible, create a second blank email, using *no template* at
all, and send it to me again using the same address.

That will let me see:

- if we eliminate the mailing list, does the problem remain?

- are your email headers okay if you send directly?

- does the template make a difference?

Do you have another way of sending email? Thunderbird, or mutt, perhaps?
If you do, you can send me a third email using the different client, and
see if the header issues go away.

Hopefully we can find the problem by a process of elimination. In the
words of Sherlock Holmes, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever
remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Unless you're talking about computers, in which case the only way to
solve some problems is to Reboot, Reinstall, Resign.

--
Steve