Re: App no longer on TDE menu

said Edward:
| On 10/12/21 12:00 PM, Mavridis Philippe wrote:
| > Hello Edward,
| >
| > I don't know what the issue might be (possibly an updated .desktop
| > file with Firefox?). Try running kappfinder (?) , it should re-add the
| > missing shortcut.
| >
| > --
| > Philippe Mavridis
|
| Hello Phillippe,
|
| Kappfinder found it - sans Firefox icon and added it to the top of the
| Internet menu where Chromium (snap package) is listed. The desktop entry
| for it, copied over from the other desktop, but TDE displayed an old
| Firefox icon instead, in which I found the new icon in /opt/firefox.

As someone who uses an entirely customized KMenu (and who still hopes
oneday to learn how to get rid of whatever generates those three
show-stopper-until clicked pop ups at the start of TDE), I have found
useful, and I think others might as well, a pretty straightforward way of
adding menu items: open a terminal and type the name of the program you
want to run. If it starts, great. If it doesn't, then the find command
will almost surely let you know where it is, which discovery you can test
from the terminal prompt, fully qualified because it wasn't in your PATH.
Open KMenu, right click on the place you want the application to appear,
select "Edit menu" and click "New Item." Fill in the blanks,
with "Command" of course being what you used at the prompt to get the
thing to start. Give it a Name -- its real name is always in good taste --
and leave the Description blank, because that's what KMenu lists in the
menu (in case anyone is moving to TDE directly from their PlaySkool "My
First Computer"). From your "find" explorations you know where the icon
is. Click on the blank icon, fill the "Other icons" hole, navigate to
where the .ico file is, and choose it. Click save.

It's not as cool as having the installation program do it for you
automagically, but it's a skill you'll find useful sooner or later. (For
example, I have a fondness for old DOS word processors, run in dosbox.
They're in KMenu because I was able to cook up a command that starts them.
Oh, for the equivalent OS/2 WPS emulator!)
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/