trying to make konversation work

Happy Sunday.

Facing the alternatives of going outside on a beautiful afternoon so as to
simultaneously feed the ticks and make the grass shorter or staying inside
and trying to figure out what's wrong with my Konversation installation,
I've chosen the latter, at least until it gets so annoying that losing
blood to and gaining infection from arachnid parasites becomes more
attractive. (There's a sales slogan: "Preferable to Lyme disease!")

When I fire up Konversation I get a screen that says this, over and over as
time passes:

[quote]
[11:52] [Info] Looking for server ircs://irc.libera.chat:6667...
[11:52] [Error] Connection to Server ircs://irc.libera.chat lost: name
lookup has failed.
[11:52] [Info] Trying to reconnect to ircs://irc.libera.chat in 10 seconds.
[11:53] [Info] Looking for server ircs://irc.libera.chat:6667...
[11:53] [Error] Connection to Server ircs://irc.libera.chat lost: name
lookup has failed.
[11:53] [Info] Trying to reconnect to ircs://irc.libera.chat in 10 seconds.
[11:53] [Info] Looking for server ircs://irc.libera.chat:6667...
[11:53] [Error] Connection to Server ircs://irc.libera.chat lost: name
lookup has failed.
[11:53] [Info] Trying to reconnect to ircs://irc.libera.chat in 10 seconds.
[/quote]

If I kill the "connection" and go to File > Server List > Libera.Chat and
click "Edit" to take a look at things, I'm first challenged for a
password -- I have none -- and if I look at the details of
#trinity-desktop I'm challenged for a password again -- still don't have
one. I do see under "Default Identity" something called Auto Identity with
a service called "nickserve" and a password of eight dots, so apparently
this was set up at some point. And looking in the logs I can confirm that
I've connected with (or in the case of libera.chat, at least tried to
connect), to wit:

[quote]
konversation/logs/freenode.log
freenode_#gemini-pda.log
freenode_#jollamobile.log
freenode_#mer-meeting.log
freenode_#mer.log
freenode_#nemomobile-porters.log
freenode_#nemomobile.log
freenode_#planer.log
freenode_#sailfishos.log
ircs.log
libera.chat.log
[/quote]

It turns out that I've tried to connect to libera.chat before, according to
the log, on June 24. (I don't remember doing this and can't imagine why I
would have other than to fire it up and see what was there. In that this
exciting experiment got ended after four minutes -- same error as above,
but it might have taken me a few minutes to realize that closing it
doesn't really close it, just moves it to a tiny kicker icon; RMB on that
is needed to extinguish the thing.)

The logs tell me that I've had no problem connecting in the pre-snit past
to freenode, where the Gemini and Sailfish chat was really useful in
configuring the then-new Gemini running Sailfish. Virtually instant
the same goal, and as discoveries were made they became available. But I
digress.

What I cannot determine is whether my VPN use -- I have ProtonVPN, one of
the few real VPNs, not a no-longer-working Netflix scam -- figures into it
not working now.

Looking at the Livera.Chat website, I see that they want irc.libera.chat,
not ircs. And port 6697, not 6667. I changed these, and:

[quote]
[12:23] [Info] Looking for server irc://irc.libera.chat:6697...
[12:23] [Error] Connection to Server irc://irc.libera.chat lost: name
lookup has failed.
[12:23] [Info] Trying to reconnect to irc://irc.libera.chat in 10 seconds.
[12:23] [Info] Looking for server irc://irc.libera.chat:6697...
[12:23] [Error] Connection to Server irc://irc.libera.chat lost: name
lookup has failed.
[12:23] [Info] Trying to reconnect to irc://irc.libera.chat in 10 seconds.
[12:23] [Info] Looking for server irc://irc.libera.chat:6697...
[12:23] [Error] Connection to Server irc://irc.libera.chat lost: name
lookup has failed.
[/quote]

etc.

This is scarcely of much importance -- if chat is going to be used to rail
on, it's of minimal interest to me, But it exists and I thought I'd take a
look. Of course, having anything on my machine that doesn't work irritates
the hell out of me, though not as much as, say, a case of Rocky Mountain
Spotted Fever.

Am I doing anything in my configuration that's obviously in error?
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/