Re: Centralised EU censorship blocks mails !?

Hi Steven!

Anno domini 2021 Wed, 6 Oct 19:48:25 +1100
 Steven D'Aprano scripsit:
> A message being blocked because your email triggered an ISPs spam filter
> is not the same as the government "randomly blocking mails".
>
> Most likely your provider is trigger-happy at mislabeling legitimate
> messages as spam.
>
> If you think that a link was the thing that triggered the filter, you
> can break it up in the way that web sites used to break up email
> addresses to stop spammers from harvesting them:
>
> # skip the protocol part, like http colon slash slash
>
> www DOT google DOT com
>
> Are you referring to Hunter's email here?
>
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/4PWAEIMZ46NYWOQLKE5DVQRBUIFOYLEM/
>
> That contains a URL at abramov DOT org which is blacklisted by
> UCEPROTECTL3:
>
> ************************
>
> It also contains another URL at mocah.org which is not currently
> blacklisted.
>
> UCEPROTECT seems to have a very bad reputation as an overzealous RBL
> that blocks entire subdomains or domains, allegedly fakes attacks in
> order to justify those blocks, and accepts money for "express
> delisting".

> So it seems to me that your mail provider is passing the buck and saying
> "Government censorship!!!" when what actually happened is that they
> delegated their spam filtering to some garbage commercial filtering
> system such as UCEPROTECT or similar.
>
> But maybe that's just me being cynical.

You are not cynical, that's exactly what it looks like. The problem from the customer perspective: the mail provider lies and I cannot do anything about it. This is no different than goverment censorship, as this practice is covered by the goverment (at least here in Austria). The other problem is gmx silently deleting mails - interesingly the very same mails that did not get delivered by Magenta.

Nik