Re: Update-notifier applet

On 2021-08-29 11:15 a.m., dep wrote:
said midi-pascal:
| Hi all,
|
| Since the last TDE stable upgrade (many months ago), the update-notifier
| applet is not available anymore.
|
| Is there a good reason to have it removed from TDE or did it fell in a
| crack?
|
| It was useful to know if some updates are available in a simple way.
|
| I am missing this small and efficient little applet.

Your mileage may vary, but I think it is good practice each day, first
thing, to open a terminal and run "sudo apt uipdate." Little applets are
nice though also often annoying (far more so in Plasma), while running
from a terminal encourages one to be more circumspect and actually learn
more about proposed upgrades. I have a few applicatoions that I certainly
wish I hadn't upgraded.

Which I realize doesn't answer your question. But the absence of the little
applet might push you toward investigating something that is ultimately
good computer hygiene.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/

Hi,

My mileage is 40+ years in programming with many programming languages under many OS's (CPM, DOS, VAX/VMS, Windows - from 3.1 to 10-, various Unix flavors, various Linux, platform-specific OS's) so I am not afraid of a terminal and command-line since there has been nothing else to interact with a computer for a long time :-)

I found the update notifier applet a nice utility: green->nothing new, red->there are updates available.

So when it was red, I go to the command-line to check what was available for update.

I miss this thingy... and my question is still not answered.

Cheers,

Pascal