Re: SDD puzzle -- *maybe* solved

Anno domini 2021 Fri, 20 Aug 13:40:03 +0000
 dep scripsit:
> said Dr. Nikolaus Klepp:
> | Anno domini 2021 Fri, 20 Aug 00:02:18 +0000
> |
> |  dep scripsit:
> | > So, then. I popped into the bios yet again. It lists four boot
> | > options. One is UEFI-something; two are Ubuntu-something (and based on
> | > what appear to be hard drive serial numbers, those two seem to be the
> | > same); and one is Ubuntu-something that is the SSD. Booting to the
> | > last of these produces the black acreen and flashing cursor. Booting
> | > to the UEFI-something seems to boot okay, producing the grub menu but
> | > booting me to sda1 no matter what I choose from the menu. But --AHA?
> | > -- choosing one of the plain Ubuntu choices (I don't know which one,
> | > because they appear identical) allows me to choose from the grub menu
> | > to boot the Linux on sdc1 and when I make that choice, I appear to
> | > actually boot sdc1. from "mount" output:
> | >
> | > /dev/sdc1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
> | >
> | > What I can't figure out is how this got changed from what worked
> | > before, and how to keep it from changing again.
> |
> | As said, swap the 2 sata ports.
>
> If it boots reliably from sdc1, as it does now, why would I want to do
> that?

Good question :) Let's call it habit. When you have more than one computer with more than one harddrive and each of them may or may not be able to boot from each harddive it's good to ensure that each machine can boot from the first device on sata1, otherwise you start cursing your younger self for beeing such a moron playing the find-the-boot-drive-guess-game with your older self.

> | And get rid of the old OS on sda1 :)
>
> I may not have been clear as to my purpose. The OS on sda1 is *identical*
> to the one on the SSD, sdc1. I hope to take advantage of the improved
> speed of the SSD, but I do not utterly trust SSDs (nor hard drives, but I
> come closer to trusting those). By having both, should the SSD fail I can
> simply boot an identical system by making that choice in the GRUB menu. So
> in this case it really is a feature, not a bug.

Sure. But why not put that (old) sda in cold storage? In your scenario you won't need it till things get "interesting". Or do you plan to keep both devices in sync? e.g. do any config twice, repeate any os upgrade?

Nik