Re: SDD puzzle

said phiebie@xxxxxxx:
| Hi Nik,
|
| > This usually happens when you update grub from the wrong OS. .....
| > And move your boot device from sdc to sda --> swap sata ports.
|
| dep only fiddled around with the fans, nothing else (he said)!
| As he has a running system - only from the wrong disk - there's the
| foremost simplest approach, reorder the boot-sequence in the BIOS. And
| then edit grub.cfg *both* on sda and sdc to have the correct
| disk-nomination (UUID, Label....) as startup.

I did indeed install fans and nothing more.

The cables are fine.

This bios-from-hell doesn't have the kind of boot-order configuration to
which I (and I suspect most others) am accustomed, as in floppy, usb,
cd-rom, hd1, hd2, etc., so half the time in bios is spent writing down
which configurations didn't work, before trying another one. The one that
seems likeliest renders only the infamous black screen with blinking
cursor. The way that previously worked was to let the UEFI drive boot
grub, whence I'd hand it all off to the grub entry for the Linux
installation on /dev/sdc1. It would then boot, quickly, and checking mount
determined that I was in fact running off the / on sdc1.

But now it does not do that, at least not entirely. I can select the sdc1
installation at the grub menu -- but it goes ahead and boots sda1 anyway.

I've gone so far as to chroot in to /dev/sdc1 and run update-grub there.
The result is as expected, with the first item on the menu being
the /dev/sdc1 Linux.

the sda1 fstab:

/dev/sda1        /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda3        /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda2        none            swap    sw              0       0
UUID=8C5E-D456  /boot/efi       vfat    defaults      0       1

the sdc1 fstab:
LABEL=BOOT        /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
LABEL=HOME        /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
LABEL=swap        none            swap    sw              0       0
UUID=8C5E-D456  /boot/efi       vfat    defaults      0       1

The labels point to the same debvices/partitions except for the first
one --  LABEL=BOOT is /dev/sdc1 -- and the swap, which are on sda2 and
sdc2 respectively. (sda1 has the label BOOT-HD, fwiw.)
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/