Re: SDD puzzle

said Dr. Nikolaus Klepp:
| Hi dep!
|
| Anno domini 2021 Thu, 19 Aug 16:46:45 +0000
|
|  dep scripsit:
| > Hi, everybody! (I hope you hear Dr. Nick's voice when you read this
| > line.)
| >
| :)
| :
| > My SDD boot . . . isn't booting.
| >
| > Here's how it unfolded: I popped the side off the case so as to
| > install a couple of top-facing exhaust fans, controlled by the
| > motherboard, bring the total case fan count to five (two intake, three
| > exhaust), because with that many fans none ever really spins up, so
| > the computer is next to silent. That's all I did in there. I came
| > nowhere near anything having to do with any of the drives.
| >
| > When I fired up the computer again I got the usual GRUB menu, the
| > second item of which was the 20.04-LTS installation on /dev/sdc1. I
| > chose it.
| >
| > And it booted forthwith -- to the 20.04-LTS installation on /dev/sda1.
| > No errors, nothing. Just booted the wrong drive.
| >
| > The SDD (sdc) is working fine -- I can mount it, navigate in it, read
| > and write to it.
| >
| > Any troubleshooting ideas that don't involve disassembly? This was
| > working fine yesterday and isn't today.
|
| This usually happens when you update grub from the wrong OS. Can you
| unplug sda, boot again. If it works, doublecheck the boot entry in the
| bios. If it's efi and you have 2 efi partions on your system (each on a
| different drive) try to get rid of the one you don't use  - should be
| sufficient to change the partition type.

That's a problem: sda is on a sled that is permanently located; I could
*conceivably* switch the cables but it would not be pretty. And I haven't
been updating grub.

As to the efi partition -- to the best of my knowledge i have only one,
sda4, the purpose of which has never been even slightly clear to me,
except that this can't possibly be the best way of doing things. There is
none on the SSD, which is only 500 gigs. And again, this was working, in
its current condition, until yesterday, when I shut down to add a couple
of case fans.

I had previously changed the partition labels to LABEL= in /etc/fstab; if
that had any effect at all anywhere it is certainly well hidden.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/