Re: Lost TDE Display Manager and other TDE issues after upgrade to Debian 11

On 8/15/21 5:15 PM, dep wrote:
said Edward:
| After upgrading to Debian 11 on both of my two systems, upon reboot, I
| lost the TDE Display Manager. The login screen defaults to whatever
| Debian itself uses and I have been unsuccessful getting the TDE login
| manager back.
|
| > ~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity
| > tdm.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
|
| Also...during the upgrade, one of the packages it wanted to remove was
| binutils, which it did. It left a package binutils-common installed, but
| not upgraded. If I attempted to remove binutils-common, it also wanted
| to remove numerous Trinity packages.
|
| Is there a fix for these issues??

Hasn't TDM been mostly or entirely supplanted by sddm?
--
dep

sddm was the other display manager installed.

I found instructions at
https://linuxhint.com/change-display-manager-debian-linux/ using the
command to configure sddm, allowed me to select between it and
tdm-trinity as the display manager. Upon a reboot afterwards (both
systems), the Trinity Display Manager now successfully comes up.

The binutils issue remains, if I attempt to install it along with one
missing dependency through the command line, it still wants to remove
binutils-common as well as the numerous Trinity packages.

--
Linux. A Continual Learning Experience.

Trinity Desktop Environment: 14.0.10  -  Debian: 10.10 (amd64)