Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Thursday 05 August 2021 12:36:10 dep wrote:

> Hi, everybody!
>
> I'm giving some thought to putting an SSD in my desktop machine. The
> relatively small ones, ~500gb, have gotten pretty cheap, and they seem
> to be fairly reliable (though I can't say I utterly trust them, though
> traditional HDs aren't perfect in this regard, either). It seems that
> if properly employed, one could speed up my system considerably.

They will since they are much faster than spinning rust. But to forestall
problems, I would remove the existing drive and substitute the SSD in
its place, install to it, then put the old drive back in and mount it
in /etc/fstab so you can copy the precious stuff back to the new
install. I've been doing exactly that for 4 generations of debian
installs now.

BUT, I have an upcoming bullseye install but at least /home will be a
raid6 on a different 6 port non-raid sata-iii card, so I need to know
if /boot must remain on spinning rust so grub can find it. Has anyone
done this yet?

OR: Can boot be done from a /boot dir on the new cards raid array?

> But I thought I'd ask here before pushing the buy button.

Push it.

> So . . . has anyone here used an SSD in a desktop machine? If so, what
> did you put on it?

I have a 240 Gig SSD in this machine, exclusively assigned to be the
amanda holding disk. My 5 machine backups that used to take about 2.5
hours to run in the middle of the night using spinning rust for that,
are now finished in 30 to 40 minutes. And I now have added a 6th machine
to drive 3d printers that I need add at least its /home to amanda's
disklist. But I haven't done that yet.

> I have 20tb of storage on the machine, most of it big photo files, and
> I expect to keep all of it. Absent a compelling reason to the
> contrary, I'd keep ~/ on a conventional hard drive as well. My initial
> idea is putting the / partition and swap partitions on the thing, with
> everything home and below staying put.

I would put /home on its own SSD, just to gain its speed. Particularly if
you are running any /home/$user/AppImages. They will launch much faster
from the SSD. File saves are also much sped up.

> An additional consideration is my idea of keeping a fully current
> install where it is now, though not using it unless the SSD blows up.
> Is this reasonably easy to do, or would it be a giant pita?

I think it should be relatively easy if you keep grub on spinning rust.
There might be an argument in the case of a raid, to keeping an image
of /etc on spinning rust, but unless its instantly mirrored it would
tend to get out of date.

> Anyone here have any experience doing this kind of thing?
> --
> dep
>
> Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
> Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/