Re: [users] [users] GTK 3 TQt Engine Styles

Anno domini 2021 Wed, 28 Jul 22:10:01 -0500
 J Leslie Turriff scripsit:
> On 2021-07-28 03:55:48 J Leslie Turriff wrote:

> > > You may want to check out these threads:
> > > "how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps?"
> > > and especially the sequel:
> > > "how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps? SOLVED"
> > > 2021-01-18 or thereabouts
> > > (an exchange mostly between E.Liddell and myself).
> > >
> > > But here is the gist of it:
> > > #######
> > > I stumbled on a site:
> > > https://askubuntu.com/questions/706528/qt-apps-stopped-inheriting-gtk-the
> > >me s/748186#748186
> > > https://web.archive.org/web/20201111174652/https://askubuntu.com/question
> > >s/ 706528/qt-apps-stopped-inheriting-gtk-themes/748186#748186 wherein are
> > > unlocked the mysteries of qt5ct in a single line.
> > >
> > > *NOTE that other pages gave information which was either contradictory or
> > > at least unclear, leaving me frustrated and unable to figure out where in
> > > /home/<USER>/.profile to insert the line for qt. So for other Trinity
> > > users out there who may want to use the look of their TDE and color
> > > outside the lines when using non-TDE apps, this is what actually worked
> > > for me.*
> > >
> > > After installing qt5ct and whatever other packages (more for developers),
> > > run this command:
> > > sudo sh -c "echo 'export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2' >> /etc/environment"
> > >
> > > Open qt5ct and choose according to personal preferences, then reboot. The
> > > user will now have TDE colors and themes in non-TDE applications. It will
> > > also run gtk2 and gtk3, and lots of other good stuff. It seems like it
> > > will work for other desktops, as well, as others say.
> > >
> > > For most users, this will probably take care of their needs.
> > > #######
> > >
> > > It sounds like this is what you're looking for. E.Liddell pointed me in
> > > this direction, and the rest I nicked from the webpage mentioned above.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps!
> > >
> > > Bill
> >
> > 	Is it likely that it will this fix the ugly Sans-Serif fonts and wasted
> > space around text in title bars, tabs, buttons, etc., too?
>
> 	FYI, I found this article from 2008 about making Gnome themes a bit more friendly; don't
> know if it still works.
> https://martin.ankerl.com/2008/10/11/how-to-make-a-compact-gnome-theme/

Sorry, this does not work any more. GTK2 wa predictable (kind of), but GNOME + GTK3 broke theming since GTK3 v1. They did not simply break it, they "improved" it with each iteration, so in case you had a working GTK3 theme you'd need to debug it for each iteration - and work your way through undocumented features. That was the reason why a lot themes vanished.

Nik