Re: 'nother question

said Jim via tde-users:

| In case this is useful to you... it is a little script that sets the
| modification time of a JPEG to its EXIF time (which would then give
| you the date you seem to want in your file manager).  If you save it
| to a file called "set-photo-time" and give it execute perms, then you
| can run it as follows:
|         set-photo-time file1.jpg file2.jpg file3.jpg file4.jpg ...
| It requires the "exif" program, which you may or may not already have
| installed.  It works for me, but use at your own risk.

Many thanks -- that seems to be exactly what I need. I'll copy a directory
of pictures into a temp directory, run it there, and if it plays nicely
I'll use it!

<rant>I used gThumb for a long time, but they've improved it to near
uselessness (and destructiveness, unless you go in and turn a lot of
things off; I've been a large part of the last week finding and
deleting .comments directories whose very existence implies that the
pictures will never be seen except in gThumb), and I guess digiKam is
useful for some purposes, but it is also bloatware and for many purposes
pretty much needs a dedicated computer. Oh, to be able to turn off its
database aspects! It relies on its database rather than what's actually
present on the computer -- delete a directory in any file manager and it's
still listed in digiKam until the database is rerun; last time I did that
here, on a fairly quick computer, it took more than 40 hours to complete.
I don't know what digiKam users want to do with their pictures, but it
ain't what I want to do. As it is, photography is 1/60 second to make a
picture and an hour to file it on the computer!</rant>
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/columns/the_view_from_mudsock_heights/