Re: Hibernate from TDE

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jul 2021, Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:

Ciao Gianluca,
if you are using R14.1.0-dev, there are up to 4 possible buttons, depending on what is supported by your system.

- freeze
- suspend ==> suspend to RAM
- hibernate ==> suspend to disk
- hybryd suspend ==> suspend to RAM+disk

Ciao Michele,

I'm using R14.0.10 and it's interesting I do see the hibernate option now. I tried it out and it works. I do not see "hybryd suspend".

Do you please mind explaining the difference between "freeze" and "suspend to RAM"? I understand this question is a bit outside a DE development.

I did find some documentation about the different sleep states:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/states.txt

It says: "This state [freeze] is a generic, pure software, light-weight, system sleep state. [...] This state [freeze] can be used for platforms without Power-On Suspend/Suspend-to-RAM support, [...] It is always supported."

This means, I do not really need to worry whether my system really supports it or not since it's just software based? So there should be little risk that it makes the system hang?

Gianluca

I also wonder how come you no longer see a nice slpash screen during hibernating and resuming as you did in the past. Now it's just a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top.

Thanks,

    Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                   +1 (206) 685 4435
                   http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.