Re: [users] re. KMail index issues

Anno domini 2021 Mon, 28 Jun 15:24:56 -0500
 J Leslie Turriff scripsit:
> On 2021-06-28 13:09:16 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2021 Mon, 28 Jun 17:54:15 +0000
> >
> >  dep via tde-users scripsit:
> > > What mailbox format is being used during the failures, maildir or mbox?
> > > Might make a difference. (I've always thought maildir is safer than mbox,
> > > because one maildir file gets corrupted and one message is lost, while
> > > one mbox bit gets flipped and all the messages are lost.)
> >
> > That's a good pont. I use maildir just for that reason. But maildir manages
> > flags via filenames, so it might be a filename gone wild (as Michael said
> > in the other mail).
> >
> > Nik
> >
> 	The questions then are, must the filenames contain only ASCII characters, and if so, is
> there a tool to scan for such non-conforming filenames?

In theory the characterset and filename format used by maildir is well defined, e.g.:
1619077924.27553.FnAjk:2,RS
1624538432.5263.6czTL:2,S

where the part till ":" is the mails uniq id, "2" is the version (there are rumours of a "1"), and flags (P)assed, (R)eplied, (S)een, (T)rashed, (D)raft. I think dovecot uses 26 char fixed lenght names and small chars for not set flags - IMO that's why dovecot and kmail cannot use the same directory tree.

So question is what goes wrong with the indices? IMO these are special to kmail. I think they got introduced ages ago to speed up the scanning of the directory tree.

Nik