Re: Umlaute and other keyboard special characters

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021, E. Liddell wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 07:45:22 +0000 (UTC)
Mavridis Philippe <mavridisf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

The Compose key is not set up by default. If I remember correctly, it can be configured through the appropriate setting through the third tab of the Keyboard Layout section of Trinity Control Centre (where misc. Xkb settings are stored), where you should alsobchoose the keyboard key/combination which activates Compose.

You can also activate it by running setxkbmap from the command line or in a script.

Thanks! I can set the Compose key to rctrl using:

setxkbmap -option compose:rctrl

I have two questions:

1) Is there a script that is read upon TDE startup where I can add this line to?

2) Although this allows me now to use Umlaute and accents, it is still not quite the same as in older versions (like up to openSUSE 13.2) where I had to press rshift and then while keeping it pressed I had to press rctrl to enter compose mode. In older versions of openSUSE it looks like the compose key was set at bootup even before the X server would start. The file /etc/sysconfig/keyboard contained in older versions the line:

COMPOSETABLE="clear latin1.add"

This is now missing from the same file in openSUSE 15.2. Even after adding it and rebooting, I still cannot use compose (except with setxkbmap). I also tried with

COMPOSETABLE="clear shiftctrl latin1.add"

and then I copied

/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/include/compose.shiftctrl

from an older installation, but Compose still does not work (except with setxkbmap as above).

If anyone has any hint or experience with how to map the compose key system-wide, please let me know.

Thanks!

     Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Research Assistant Professor at the Department of Bioengineering