Re: upgrade question

On Wednesday 02 of June 2021 18:51:40 dep via tde-users wrote:
> greets, folks . . .
>
> i'm about to upgrade my ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and, as has been my
> (mostly successful) practice, this involves changing the sources lists,
> in this case "bionic" to "focal" and running the usual update-upgrade
> routine. all seems to be going well but for this:
>
> N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as
> repository
> 'http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/ubuntu
> focal InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'
> N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as
> repository
> 'http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/
>ubuntu focal InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'
>
> going back over my sources files yet again, i see no reference to
> architecture at all, never mind i386.
>
> before i pull the trigger i want to figure out what this is and whether
> it will break things -- i know far quicker ways of breaking things, if
> that were what i wanted to do, which it isn't.
> --
> dep

Hi dep,

if multi-arch is enabled on Ubuntu, which can be a common configuration,
there is a download of apt sources for both - amd64 and i386. But starting
with Focal, i386 support is limited and we cannot provide Trinity packages
for i386. Therefore, Trinity apt sources for i386 are not available.

You can adjust the configuration so that there is no attempt to download
i386 apt sources - see:

https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Release_Notes_For_R14.0.9#Restriction_of_supported_distros.2Farchitectures

Cheers
--