Re: [users] How to select the default soundcard ?

On Monday 31 May 2021 00:32:12 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2021 Mon, 31 May 00:43:45 -0500
>
>  J Leslie Turriff scripsit:
> > On 2021-05-30 12:10:34 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > > Things might be different with pulseaudio, but that thing never worked
> > > for me, probably the bad carma of it's creator still sticks on it.
> > >
> > > Nik
> >
> > 	My experience with pulseaudio is the same; I have learned to forbid its
> > installation, and I stick with ALSA.
> > 	BTW, when I right-click on the KMix applet and choose Select Master
> > Channel, I just get a radio-button list, no way to choose an underlying
> > device. (?)
>
> Interesting. In your screenshot the dropdownlist with the selectable
> soundcards is missing. Here's what I get on my system.
>
> Nik
>
> > Leslie
> > --
> >    Operating System: Linux
> > Desktop Environment: Trinity
> >                  Qt: 3.5.0
> >                 TDE: R14.0.10
> >          tde-config: 1.0

We both share a dislike of pulseaudio crap (if I recall aright), and prefer
alsa. But are you quite sure that no pulseaudio leftovers remain in your
system?

After I purge everything connected to pulseaudio, the only choice that
remains, or the only one that my system recognizes, is alsa. Then it is
automatically chosen as default.

Make sure you purge not only pulseaudio* but also pavucontrol, and similar
packages. You probably already know this, I imagine, so this is just a
reminder.

That pulseaudio stuff somehow gets into my system through other packages that
usually don't mention it.

Also you recommended alsamixer to me a few months ago (thanks much!), wherein
you can choose your soundcard. I'm not sure if your choice in alsamixer
affects kmix; but I know that I don't have this problem any more.

Bill