Re: [users] Which desktop?

On 2021-05-25 05:09:50 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2021 02:19:08 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2021 Tue, 25 May 03:55:57 -0500
> >
> >  J Leslie Turriff scripsit:
> > > 	Is there a way, while starting a program, to tell it which desktop to
> > > appear on (before it opens its window)?
> > > 	I looked at the various Window-specific settings (right-click the
> > > mini-icon in the menu bar), and there's lots of things that can be set
> > > there, but not the desktop.  I also looked at kdcop for several kinds
> > > of windows, but if there's something in there, I can't recognize it.
> >
> > hope I get the translation right:
> >
> > window menu /miniicon -> extended -> special settings for this window (or
> > program) -> check "workspace" and select the one you want it to go.
> >
> > Nik
>
> At the risk of repeating Nik, here is what I've been doing since KDE3:
>
> #1 (quickie fix)
> Right-click at the top bar of any open application dialogue; then choose
> <To Desktop> to shift the application to whatever desktop you want. This
> choice will not persist, but gets the item moved temporarily to Desktop X.
>
> #2 (permanent)
> Right-click at top bar of application, then choose <Advanced> / <Special
> Window Settings>. A new dialogue window will appear. Choose <Geometry>,
> then click <Desktop>, choose whatever desktop you want. Just to the left of
> your desktop choices is a menu item which ought to show the default setting
> of <Do Not Affect>; change this to <Force>, or whatever best suits your
> needs. (Also, <Remember>, <Apply Intially>, etc., but mostly <Force> is
> best if you want an application always to open in its own special window.)
>
> For example, all my browsers open in Window 4; Kmail is always in Window 3,
> KPDF in Window 9, Konqueror in Window 12, all shells/terminals/consoles in
> Window 11, and so on ... which keeps things better organized in my own
> little world, rather than just letting everything flop open in whatever
> window I happen to be. It's pretty annoying if I have 20 docs open, all of
> the same type, but spread across several different windows and mixed with
> other kinds of windows.
>
> #3 (a little tip)
> For some applications, continue on to choose <Advanced> / <Special Window
> Settings> / <Workarounds>. Here you may find the choices under <Focus
> stealing prevention> to be useful. Sometimes an application hogs resources,
> you'll wonder why you can't get things to happen, as you sit there and wait
> for a minute or two. By clicking <High> or even <Extreme>, you will find
> that some of these small annoyances cease to bother you.
>
> I hope this is of some help to yourself and others. (I've been doing it
> like this since 2006 or so.) It's one of those features that seem to be
> missing in many other DEs, or if the feature exists, it doesn't work so
> well as in TDE.
>
> Bill

	I might also mention that another way to do this is with Control Center => Desktop =>
Window-Specific Settings, which provides a list of current settings for various windows,
and the ability to add/change/remove.  (Why would move up/down be useful here?)
	Now, for the rest of my question, is there a way to alter these settings programmatically
(e.g. via DCOP or...)?

Leslie
--
openSUSE    Leap 15.2 x86_64