KMail SSL vs TLS

KMail account setup security settings includes a dialog of which
the upper part looks like the attached image.

Now my understanding is that TLS is basically a newer version of
SSL.  TLS 1 was reportedly just a minor improvement on SSL 3.

However that is not the way these options seem to behave.  I'm
starting to think that the "SSL" option actually uses SSL or TLS,
and the "TLS" option is actually to use STARTTLS.

STARTTLS ia a magic command used in an unencrypted session to
spawn a new encrypted session.  For example with IMAP it kinda
switches you up from port 143 to port 993.

So is the "TLS" option actually TLS or is it STARTTLS?

Thanks,

--Mike