Re: tork-trinity or tor fails to start privoxy? - P.S. what about heads?

On Sunday 25 April 2021 11:20:42 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 09:21:22 -0700
>
> William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anyway, how do I find out if indeed this motherboard actually is (or is
> > capable of running) 64-bit? It was some command or other which gave me
> > the information in a shell, then Nik (as I recall) said, hey, your
> > machine is actually 64-bit. When I did the original installation, though,
> > I didn't get the choice. Also I don't mind buying a new, bigger and
> > better motherboard; that wouldn't take up more space. If I get any more
> > crowded here, then I will need to sleep outside.
>
> Try lscpu .  If you get a line that reads:
>
> CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
>
> or
>
> Architecture:                    x86_64
>
> you should be running a 64-bit system.  Bitness is normally governed by the
> CPU, not the mobo (although since one upgrades the two in lockstep
> 95% of the time, it's hard to say how much that matters).
>
> If you want another computer and your space is *really* restricted, there
> are a few tiny single-board systems like the LattePanda that have an x86_64
> CPU architecture and are in a similar category to the RPi sizewise.

Yes, a friend was showing me some of these systems. For me the main problem is
sticking with my priorities in order of importance. And the first thing is to
move out of this place, but I got a plan. ;-) Somewhere with more space
(because my apartment is tiny), a place life moves a little slower, where I
can hear myself think ... you know the place.

Also I am getting old and worn-out. I don't want to buy too much more stuff,
because then I must move it yet again. I will move into a bigger place, then
I can fill it with even more stuff. It is like that joke by George Carlin: we
keep moving into bigger places because we keep getting more stuff.

> E. Liddell

Thanks, let's give it a try, see what comes up. And maybe it is the CPU that
matters; I'm only repeating what I remember from 2 or 3 years ago. After that
I moved to Debian, then Devuan, and would be glad to stay here as it has been
stable and dependable ... until now.

I really don't want to run systemd, but if I can run a Devuan VM inside Qubes,
and run Whonix as well, then setting up a 64-bit machine would be worth the
trouble. Whether I buy new hardware to upgrade my machine, or figure why I
have a 64-bit machine that insists on running as 32-bit, I would prefer to
live the dream of being in control of my own machine.

So my plan for this machine is to get it running 64-bit, somehow or other.
That might keep it all manageable until I can relocate.

Bill