tork-trinity or tor fails to start privoxy?

Okay, so here is a weird one. I've been using tork since KDE3, about the year
2005 or so. Once I got it configured, I've experienced hardly any issues;
only when I upgrade, then sometimes a few packages change, and I make
adjustments, but that's about it. My configuration has stayed pretty much the
same ever since then.

About a year ago, I responded to a thread started by Andre (search for the
heading "tork-trinity - my config"); that has been my basic configuration
since for ever.

But now suddenly I get a message that tork-trinity fails to start privoxy. I
tried restarting it manually in a shell, and here's what I get:

sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy restart
[FAIL] Restarting filtering proxy server: privoxy failed!

I checked sysv-rc-conf, and I generally leave tor and privoxy unchecked at all
run levels, because I like to start it up myself. Otherwise, whenever I
started tork, I couldn't connect, and would have to kill tor, tork and
privoxy, anyway, so it has always worked better by starting it manually.

It occurs to me that maybe this has some connection to my recent upgrade
(following that recent thread, "how to install TDE pkgs *without*
kerberos-heimdal-ldap?"). Michele resolved that issue, and now I don't have
any problems with kerberos or changing my passwords. I upgraded using the PTB
repository. However, I had already noticed some odd behavior earlier when I
was using the stable builds. (It seemed that privoxy was not starting, but
everything still worked; however my download speeds were greatly increased,
obviously because I am not using privoxy.)

Not that I am engaging in any Internet activity that is suspect or dangerous
(so far as I know), but it would be nice to keep my privacy intact. These
days, it's hard to tell what is paranoia and what is just reasonable caution.

Does anybody have some idea what may have changed, since I have not changed my
configuration since TDE prehistory? Thanks for any help!

Bill