Adding additional DNS addresses

I went into TCC/Internet & Network/Network Settings, added the two IP
addresses for Cloudflare's DNS service and applied them.

The apps will then use the Cloudflare DNS addresses only for that
session, if logging out and rebooting, it will revert back to the ISP's
DNS servers upon the next login.

I was under the impression that such settings (which I have seen in
other distros) were independent of whatever is in the system's
resolv.conf file. Is there a way of permanently saving the other DNS
addresses? The ISP's gateway software has their DNS addresses 'grayed
out' (for lack of a better term) and they cannot be changed in the
gateway. Cloudflare's DNS service has a faster response time than the
ISP's, from here.

Thanks in advance.

--
Linux. A Continual Learning Experience.