Re: Note on "libreoffice menubar gone" + TDE + devuan/debian

Anno domini 2021 Fri, 19 Mar 13:16:27 +0100
 phiebie@xxxxxxx scripsit:
> Hi Nik,
>
> Am 18.Mar.2021 um 20:00 schrieben Sie:
> >
> > Just in case anybody runs into the "libreoffice has no
> > menubar"-problem: installing dbus-x11 will bring the menubar back.
> >
> > An other thing that you might run ointo: libreoffice by default uses
> > x11 fallback interface, which is exceptionally ugly. You have to
> > install "libreoffice-gtk3" and set "SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3" in
> > .profile to get a reasonably usabe GUI. (libreoffice-qt5 breaks any
> > kind of printing from libreoffice)
>
> If I remember right, you have installed an appimage Libreoffice 7.2.
> Well. that's as far as I can see an "alpha" release. And alpha
> means.... oh don't expect much out of it.
> I however, as I wrote a week ago, use the official release 7.1.1.2
> (fresh) from the LO-website and have not encountered ANY problem, even
> printing goes flawlessly.

I have dropped the Appimage again - it showed the same menubar-gets-lost-in-nirvana as the devuan version. So I'm back to libreoffice from devuan repos, which works quite nice - when the menubar is present, that is.

> What's more, in the whole package there is no LO-gtk3 or LO-qt5
> subpackage mentioned separately. Installing with "dpkg -i *.deb"
> doesn't ask for additional dependencies to be solved, everythingSAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN is on
> board.

Then you have the X11 fallback, which always works, but is a PITA on 160dpi an above.

> I wonder, what a VLCPLUGIN has to do with LO?
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN .. I was told it stands for "video core library". Sometimes LO detects the correct library to use, sometimes not. It's totally undocumented what it looks for when choosing the "right" one. Bit it's possible to make it prefer one gui toolkit over an other. That works, but as I wrote, there is no dependency on dbus-x11 which is needed for the menubar (god knows why).

Nik