Re: How to achieve the legal status of the project?

Mavridis Philippe wrote:

> SFConservancy looks like a good option. Even though they adhere to US
> laws, the fact that many popular and respectable FOSS projects trust them
> is something to be considered. Dyne, on the other hand, seems quite
> unpopular, possibly exactly due to transparency issues and this annoying
> "we made it" attitude.

I was working a bit with web shops and there it matters where the company is
registered - you mention the court that would be responsible for any legal
cases. I'm not sure if this applies to TDE, but IMO it is wise to look at
TDE as legal entity. Based on that you can decide which company could take
over the case in the EU or in the US.

>> If there are concerns that a corporation that uses TDE might try to claim
>> legal damages from TDE if something goes wrong, perhaps a helpful
>> precaution could be to put a "NO WARRANTY" message like the one above,
>> somewhere on the TDM login dialogue.  And if a user logs in to TDE using
>> e.g. KDM instead of TDM, perhaps a similar message could appear in a
>> message box in front of all other windows when the user has just logged
>> in, with an OK button to dismiss the message, and a checkbox to be
>> checked for "Acknowledge and don't display again".
>
> The "No Warranty" idea looks reasonable enough, even though no other DE is
> doing this AFAIK. Actually, this notice could also be put on the first
> page of KPersonalizer, as this is what the user sees when they first log
> on.

+1 here