Topic Resolved & Closed = Why crackmonkeys should not be allowed to own tech = Topic Resolved & Closed - Thanks Alie & everyone!

On Wednesday 17 February 2021, alistair izzard via tde-users wrote:
>     On Tuesday, 16 February 2021, 07:30:33 GMT, BorgLabs - Kate Draven
<borglabs4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > On Monday 15 February 2021 23:00:57 BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
> >
> > And got caught by spamassassin. So I've not recourse but to copy/paste:
> >
> > Is there an rpm or apt-get comment that can batch remove repeat rpms.
> > The old version of rather.
> >
> > A dimwit neighbour decide not allow synaptic to finish updating and force
> > shut
> > it down to go watch football (american). Now he keeps getting warnings of
> > multiple rpm versions. I can't go fix it for obvious reasons. So I'm
> > hoping
> > to give him some command that would resolve this. Otherwise, he has to
> > drop
> > off. He's "extremely social" if you know what I mean. Sadly he's a good
> > old
> > friend's son, I can't really say no.
> >
> > This is the same person who decided his new snowblower could clean
> > his "short"
> > drive way without engine oil.
> >
> > Why crackmonkeys should not be allowed to own tech...
> >
> > I know I'm going to end up having to do it, but I thought I'd ask.
> >
> > Kate
> >
> > From Gene:
> >
> > After 86 years, my dearest kate, I have learned that trying to head off
> > such behaviour is essentially thankless, they cannot be made to
> > understand that you are trying to help when you object to such self
> > destructive behaviour.
> >
> > Sometimes its best to let them sort it out themselves. His answer is
> > probably to reinstall, probably loseing any work he may have already
> > done with it, including his accounts receivable, which could be an
> > expensive lesson.
> >
> > If you have to do the reinstall, you should become the first user, with a
> > longer pw you never share, and no root pw, making him a non-priviledged
> > user, but make sure sshd is running and that you are the only one that
> > can run sudo.  That way you can log in and do maintenance/updates etc
> > from your place, undisturbed by prying eyes.
> >
> > Such self-defense is not a personality problem.  All he needs to learn is
> > to shut off the monitor only and leave it running, 24/7. Just make sure
> > it has enough memory so he can watch football at the same time you are
> > sorting his latest basket of rattlesnakes. If his network connection is
> > dynamic so his net address is volatile, have a late boot script email
> > you its address anytime its rebooted.
> >
> > Good luck girl, stay safe and well.
>
> Wise words.
>
> I'm repairing for his mother's sake.
> Steve, never had the pwds. His brother ran the update with simple
> instruction. Leave it alone, til he returns with his mother.
>
> Didn't work out.
>
> Oh well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kate
> Dupeclean from the repo, and Dupeclean-gui will fix synaptic in pclos
> [...]
Thanks Alie. Will do for the future. But I'm going to reinstall to the latest
version of BG PLOS. Plus I have to replace the sound card and bluray player.

Speaking latest, any new ISO on the horizon?

Hope all is well there with you and yours,

Kate