Why crackmonkeys should not be allowed to own tech

Is there an rpm or apt-get comment that can batch remove repeat rpms.
The old version of rather.

A dimwit neighbour decide not allow synaptic to finish updating and force shut
it down to go watch football (american). Now he keeps getting warnings of
multiple rpm versions. I can't go fix it for obvious reasons. So I'm hoping
to give him some command that would resolve this. Otherwise, he has to drop
off. He's "extremely social" if you know what I mean. Sadly he's a good old
friend's son, I can't really say no.

This is the same person who decided his new snowblower could clean his "short"
drive way without engine oil.

Why crackmonkeys should not be allowed to own tech...

I know I'm going to end up having to do it, but I thought I'd ask.

Kate