Re: [users] [users] [trinity-devel] Re: Re: amarok and missing mp4v2 in Buster

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 13:39:15 -0600
J Leslie Turriff <jlturriff@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2021-01-13 13:28:01 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> > And I’d guess there are more than debian and redhat as top level
> > distributions?  (OpenSUSE? Mandriva? PCLinuxOS?)  But, again, I don’t
> > really know how many distributions TDE works on?
>
> 	RedHat, OpenSuSE and Arch are RPM based.  I think Trinity runs on at least
> one flavour of BSD, and I wish it ran on OS-X, whose built-in desktop is even
> worse than Windows. :-)

Arch is not an RPM distro.  If you try to divide Linux distributions up by
package format, you end up with two large and three small families:

The big families descend from Debian and Red Hat.

The small families descend from Slackware, Arch, and Gentoo.

There are also some singletons with their own package formats.

TDE is, or has been, available for all five families, although I'm
uncertain of its status on Arch and Slackware at this time (or on BSD
for that matter), and not all packages are available for Gentoo (yet).

Whether or not it would be possible to install TDE on OSX with the
aid of libraries from something like Homebrew . . .  I don't think anyone's
ever tried, but my guess is that it wouldn't work very well.

E. Liddell