Re: WTH? I can't find an MP4 player for local files, what am I missing?

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 18:50:34 -0500
Gene Heskett via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Playing Intel® Desktop Board D525MW — Product Guides.mp4.
> libavformat version 57.56.101 (external)
> Mismatching header version 57.56.100
> libavformat file format detected.
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f666212ad00]moov atom not found
> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
> libavformat file format detected.
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f666212ad00]moov atom not found
> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>

> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> And I repeat, what the heck is a "moov atom"?

Apparently it's the bit of the mp4 file that tells the player what codecs were
used on the streams inside, plus some other constants.  Without it, the player
doesn't know what codecs to use.  You may have a truncated or bit-rotted file
on your hands (the moov atom is usually at the end of the file, it seems), or the
encoder may simply have been standards-incompliant or outright broken.

The error above is bubbling up from ffmpeg, which is a pretty low-level
library, so I wouldn't bet on finding a player that will accept this particular
file without help.  If you know what the audio and video codecs inside are,
you *might* be able to find a player that can reconstruct the moov atom
if you specify the codecs at the command line.

http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~ponchio/untrunc.php may or may not be helpful.

E. Liddell