Re: WTH? I can't find an MP4 player for local files, what am I missing?

On Wednesday 06 January 2021 08:05:25 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 January 2021 02:59:33 am William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > >
> > > I must disagree - no one is changing the standards. At least I am not
> > > aware of things changing in already released formats. What may not work
> > > are new formats where you may not have the new codec.
> >
> > Hmmm, well, I remember it happening in the past, back when I was still
> > running KDE3, and resisted upgrading. However, that was many years ago,
> > so my memory is a little fuzzy.
>
> Bill is right.  For whatever reason updates to software players using
> codecs do sometimes 'break' the ability to play existing (older) files.
> I've experienced this multiple times (100s probably) since the '90s (and my
> mother has lost some family videos to this phenomenon).
>
> I've experience all of these situations:
>
> - Software no longer includes the older codec and you can hunt down and
> re-install the codec manually and it will play again.
> - Software no longer includes the older codec and you can hunt down and
> re-install the codec manually and it still will NOT play.
> - Software claims to have the codec, but, while newer created files will
> play correctly, older created files will NOT play.
>
> Add in a bunch of situations to the above of mangled playing of older files
> (think old VHS playbacks).
>
> Bit rot is probably responsible for some of it, but I’ve experienced cases
> (saved one of mom’s holiday videos) where copying the file  to an ‘old’
> machine (was literally stuck in a closet and hadn’t been updated in 5+
> years) allowed the file to play ‘fine’ and was also able to convert the
> file to another format which then played correctly on the ‘new’ machine.
>
> My rule of thumb is to convert any codec using file that I care about into
> 3 different formats for archiving.
>
> HTH,
> Michael

Overnight, it suddenly occurred to me: when I downloaded mp4 videos from
YouTube, I remembered that they were all pixelated and impossible to watch.
My other mp4s, from other sources, played just fine. So I hung onto the
videos, but couldn't watch them. Then when I upgraded (when moving from
the 'buntus to Debian, then later to Devuan), I discovered that suddenly all
those unwatchable YouTube mp4s played just fine again.

And it didn't matter what player I used, because it was the fact that I used
an older distro that was causing the problem.

Bill