Weird toolbar issues in kMail and Kate

	A while ago I wanted to try placing my kMail toolbar on the right side of the
main window (I normally keep it on the left).  When I decided that wasn't
helpful I tried to move it back, but it didn't want to; stayed on the right
side.  I eventually got it to go back again (somehow), but now whenever I
open kMail it's collapsed (just showing the handle at top left below the
menu) and I have to expand it each time kMail starts.
	Any suggestions for fixing that?

	Also, in Kate, which has multiple, somehow nested, toolbars, I'm having
trouble getting it to put the various buttons where I want them.  In
my 'gaming' account they're set the way I find most convenient, with the
Save, Close and Quit buttons together, but in my 'working' account they
stubbornly refuse to associate.  (See attached screenshots.)
	What controls where these buttons appear in the toolbar?

Leslie