Re: Suggestion to improve TDE/Ubuntu image

On 12/7/20 7:17 PM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
Anno domini 2020 Mon, 7 Dec 17:13:46 -0500
  Edward via tde-users scripsit:
Since installing the TDE/Ubuntu 20.04.1 image (in a VirtualBox), it had
not displayed the GRUB boot menu, it displays a couple of lines (as if
it were a terminal window), then goes straight to the Ubuntu splash screen.

The beginning of the original /etc/default/grub file was:

GRUB_DEFAULT="0"
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden"
GRUB_TIMEOUT="0"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I manually made the following changes:

   * removed: GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden"
   * made: GRUB_TIMEOUT="5"

then ran update-grub and rebooted. The GRUB menu now appears.

I would like to offer a friendly suggestion that for future TDE/Ubuntu
images, if this is possible to do, the default grub file not contain
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden" and the GRUB_TIMEOUT entry be set to at
least 3.

Please note that I do not know if the original default items copied
above, is the actual standard for all Ubuntu images.

Ubuntu offers a package grub-customizer. When I looked at that, the
General settings indicated the GRUB menu was set to display, but it
seems that the GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden" entry overrides that and was
preventing it from displaying. After saving the settings in
grub-customizer, GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden" was still in /etc/default/grub.

What image are you referring to?

http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/cdimages/ubuntu/focal/tde-14.0.9-ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
is what I installed.