Re: Libreoffice 7 + avahi + TDE

Ok, problem solved :)

Anno domini 2020 Mon, 30 Nov 15:34:38 -0500
 E. Liddell scripsit:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 13:54:16 +0100
> "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <office@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I think the GNOMEs of GNOME have done it again. I just ran across 3 problems:
> >
> > 1) TDE sees all CUPS-printers in the LAN and can print to them. Libreoffice 7 does not.
>
> cups support is technically optional—make sure the packager compiled it in.
>
> > 2) Libreoffice uses 96dpi, no matter what I do. The workaround with GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.33 does not work any more.
>
> Beat the people working on GTK3 about the head with a blunt instrument until
> they produce something that's usable outside the context of Gnome?  (Also,
> that "GDK_" looks suspicious—typo?)

It is definitly GDK_DPI_SCALE - it interfers with font size given in "gtk-font-name" in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 , which interestingly is used by GTK3 applications for default font. You can do interesting things with that variable and e.g. firefox or chromium ... and the developers are definitly brainwashed.

> It seems to be possible to compile LibreOffice 7 against QT5/KDE5 instead of
> GTK3, but that drags in a bunch of KDE5 libs.  I'm not sure about compiling
> against just QT5, or trying to turn off both QT5 and GTK3 in the hope of
> reverting to GTK2—the ebuild doesn't  say whether either of those setups is
> broken, or they were just never tested.  And you'd have to armwrestle LO's
> build system, which looks ugly.

I installed libreoffice-qt5 and libreoffice-gtk3 (libreoffice-gtk2 is not available any more) and then had to set "SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=kf5". I don't know if it uses GTK3 or QT5 now, but at least it uses the font size from ~/.gtkrc-2.0 now ... *sigh*

Nik