Re: [users] TDE, ALSA and a seperate mic ...

On Saturday 28 November 2020 00:06:02 Gene Heskett via tde-users wrote:
> On Saturday 28 November 2020 01:32:36 J Leslie Turriff wrote:
> > On 2020-11-27 09:55:10 Gene Heskett via tde-users wrote:
> > > Those 3 letter agency's will luv that. Just one of the reasons I've
> > > never had a mic cable in the same room. Watch your cell phone
> > > battery life for the same reason, even this cheap trakfone can be
> > > turned on to listen remotely. So its card was allowed to expire a
> > > year back. No more problem.
> > >

> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >
> > 	You might be interested in these products from Purism:
> > "Beautiful, Secure, Privacy-Respecting Laptops & Phones"
> > https://puri.sm/
> >
> > Leslie
>
> Maybe, but at $100/mo, I'd have to have at least 50x the need for it.
> I'll do w/o at that price. $100/yr for a tracfone I could almost
> justify.  Almost. But I value my privacy enough theres over 100 entry's
> in the amazon call blocker, of numbers that never ring my home phone
> again. Most are political or nuisance fundraisers. And war dialers, if
> there's nobody there when I say hello, the big red button gets pushed.
> Come the revolution, we're gonna need a longer wall. :-)
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

What about a Pine Phone? I have *almost* bought one now, on a few occasions,
but back off again, as I don't use a phone too much any more at all, though
it is still necessary to have one (especially a mobile phone, for reasons of
occasional travel, etc.).

I do hate these smartphones, but at the same time, I now use mine more often
as a music player, calculator, calendar, alarm clock, and so on -- much more
than I ever use it as a phone.

When I have time and inclination to root my smartphone, then at least I'll
feel slightly more "secure" or maybe a little more "private" (but those are
not really accurate terms ...); but then again, like Gene, I don't use a
phone enough to justify all that effort.

Unless eating and breathing become suspicious activities, I can't really see
how knowing my location and activities could possibly be of interest to any
3-letter govt agencies. Then again ... if I know enough to ask questions,
then I must know too much.

Bill