Re: [OT] VirtualBox, was: Trinity Slax LiveCD

On 11/27/20 11:15 AM, Michael via tde-users wrote:
On Wednesday 25 November 2020 05:18:53 pm Edward via tde-users wrote:
VirtualBox is all new to me. I'm just barely getting started with it to
see what it can and cannot do. TDE/Ubuntu runs very well in it.
Hi Ed,

Do you have a VirtualBox tutorial and/or setup instructions guide that you
used (and liked)?

Like you VirtualBox isn't something I've used before and I'm trying to get the
wife to move to TDE, but she has 2 windows programs she has to use (neither
run well under wine).

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry, I don't. Oracle has a web site at https://www.virtualbox.org
that includes technical and end-user documentation. Up to now, I haven't
had the need to refer to it.

When I had Fedora installed, someone asked me if I tried Gnome Boxes
(GB), which doesn't require Gnome to be installed, it works with any DE.
Of course, I hadn't used any type of virtual anything before, so I
figured I would give it a try.

Although it's very easy to create a box using GB, VirtualBox (VB) has
more options. One thing I like about VB, is that there is an option to
make the box automatically expand its size on the disk, if needed. As
far as I know, the box size is fixed with GB when it's created. When I
created my boxes with VB, I set it to use 4GB of RAM and 20 or 25 GB for
the box size on the disk.

When installing an OS in a box and with the immediate subsequent package
upgrades, it will run somewhat slower. I noticed that some of the
kernel-related packages took a bit of time to upgrade. But Firefox and
Thunderbird run fine.

The Trinity PCLinuxOS image includes the VirtualBox installer and was
one of the first OS' I tried out in a box under Fedora.

--
This message was sent using virtual technology.