Re: New Build Updates & Questions (Avengers Assemble Update - Solved & Concluded)

> On 11/24/20 3:29 PM, deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> > Edward via tde-users wrote:
> >
> >> I have not yet put the card in, but had a thought... The sound cards
> >> from that era, have a jack where an audio cable connected it to the
> >> CD/DVD drive. Where the card would override the on-board audio once
> >> installed, would that audio cable still be necessary today, or would
> >> today's motherboards know to route the audio from the CD/DVD through the
> >> motherboard, directly to the sound card? I haven't actually looked at
> >> the back of the DVD drive to see if it even has that connection on it.
> >> That system is from 2009.
> > I do not think modern drives have it - you can easily diagnose it by
> > observing the front panel of the drive - if it has an audio jack, it can
> > independently play audio.
> >
> > Applications such as kscd would work with the data being read from the
> > drive. I do not know why Kate would say kscd needs an audio cable.
> > I guess kscd is able to control the drive (play/pause etc.), so that if
you
> > have a CD player you could just tell it play and listen on the audio jack
> > of the player. However it should be working as a player too - playing the
> > cdrom. Last time I tried few months ago it worked nicely.
>
> The drive does not have an audio jack on the front.

kscd will control the hardware but it needs a optical drive to audio card
audio cable to play the output. You can test it yourself.

I think Ed was talking about the back cable not the audio out front panel port
some optical drive had.

Kate