Re: New Build Updates & Questions (Avengers Assemble Update - Solved & Concluded)

On 11/23/20 3:41 PM, BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
On Monday 23 November 2020, Edward via tde-users wrote:
On 11/23/20 11:40 AM, BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
Ok update on the audio card question.

Card chosen = SB Audigy RX - 100% natively supported. Please note this
card has an optical io port that is ON by default when first
installed. Turn it off to activate the 1/8 jacks. Otherwise there will
be no signal out or in (no audio/mic/ or linein).

The sound quality is as good as the card it replaced which is now in
Gary's (brother from another mother) computer. He's having fun. Sadly,
the RX, doesn't have a break out box like the Platinum does, so I have
to make one. No biggy, 3 wires in a project box.

According to the headaches I gave out freely at Creative Labs and a
variety of other source. Any emu10kx chip is native on linux and,
infact, has better support than mac and windows. Yeeeah for us.

So.. solved, concluded, moving on (if anyone has any question please
feel free to ask).
This is good to know. I had been looking at my Creative Sound Blaster
Live! 5.1 (legacy PCI) sound card, which I believe has a year in the
early 2000's shown on its printed circuit board and have been
contemplating installing it in the other desktop, just to see if it
still works and if the audio is better than what's provided from the
on-board (NVIDIA).

I have tons of those and they all work perfectly. In fact, this machine has
one Live! 5.1 and it's working grand.

Go for it.

Kate

I have not yet put the card in, but had a thought... The sound cards
from that era, have a jack where an audio cable connected it to the
CD/DVD drive. Where the card would override the on-board audio once
installed, would that audio cable still be necessary today, or would
today's motherboards know to route the audio from the CD/DVD through the
motherboard, directly to the sound card? I haven't actually looked at
the back of the DVD drive to see if it even has that connection on it.
That system is from 2009.