Re: Survey: distros with KDE?

Do you mean TDE rather than KDE? or maybe KDE3?

On Friday 06 November 2020 21:34:28 Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently running Fedore 29, but I will soon need to upgrade or
> reinstall a new distro. I'd like something with TDE available.
>
> Can we do a short survey of:
>
> - which distro you are running

I've used TDE on most of the 'Buntu, Debian or Devuan distros that others
mentioned, as well as PCLinuxOS. But at last (or rather, maybe, at present) I
have settled on Devuan Beowulf, using a netinstall CD, which runs almost
without a hitch.

> - whether it provides TDe from the official repos;

TDE isn't in any of the "official repos" (if you mean the really big
repositories where we get the rest of our non-TDE packages, like Debian,
Ubuntu, etc.); but I expect that this will change in the not-too-distant
future.

TDE is blows away all the other DEs, so they can't ignore us for much longer.

> - and whether you had trouble installing and running TDE.

I upgraded from Devuan Jessie directly to Devuan Beowulf (skipping over
Ascii), so that seemed to cause some minor problems, but after a few weeks of
patient care, it is pretty near perfect.

Debian/Devuan take a bit of bother to get them running how we want, but once
configured, they are very stable and dependable, so it's worth the trouble.
So my vote is clearly for Devuan, no-systemd, at least for now.

As a rule, the easier a distro is to run "out of the box", the less
configurable it will be.

There are several distros that offer TDE as a default choice (Q4OS,
Exegnulinux, and others). Also, both Nik and Michael have created TDE distros
for testing:

ISO:
https://github.com/zwieblum/devuan-images/releases/download/2020.11.02/snapshot-20201102_1128.iso
SHA256: