Re: TDE LUKS?, was Re: Re: TDE R14.0.9 released, new target R14.0.10 will start soon...

On 2020/11/05 03:29 AM, Janek Stolarek wrote:
I've been using LUKS for a long time on several different distributions,
all with TDE installed.  So this conversation has made me curious how TDE
having ‘support for unlocking / locking encrypted disks’ is different than
what is currently in use?
The way TDE 14.0.9 currently works (on my machine at least) is that when I plug in an encrypted
external USB drive, Konqueror will ask for a password to unlock it, but upon entering the
password it will report an error. So what I do is use a script that unlocks the LUKS device and
mounts it*, at which point Konqueror again asks for a password to unlock the device except now
that the device has been unlocked it mounts it correctly. I now wonder whether you know a way to
bypass the need of unlocking/mounting the drive using a script?

Hi everyone,
I reply here to both Michael and Janek.

You can use LUKS disks in many ways.
1) you can unlock, mount, unmount and lock from CLI. This obviously works already in TDE R14.0.x (in fact it has nothing to do with TDE) 2) AFAIK, you can get use /etc/crypt, /etc/fstab and a password file to get the disk to auto unlock and then mount. This also works in R14.0.x

What does not work in R14.0.x is that if you have a LUKS disks and you don't use the above methods, then you can't use the disk. Konqueror will ask for a password but it will fail unlocking the disk. In R14.1.0 you will be able to click on a LUKS disk, enter a password and unlock the disk. Similarly you can lock it back. So if you plug in the occasional USB LUKS drive or if you want to manually unlock the disk (extra safety, you must type the password each time, no stored password file), then you can do it from Konqueror/KDesktop/KDCOP. There are more changes under the hood, but this is the core feature. Small note: in R14.1.0 an unlocked LUKS disk is a separate entity from its mountable disk. Meaning if you have a /dev/sdb1 LUKS disk, this will be lockable/unlockable, but not mountable. When unlocked, there will be a separate device (/dev/dm-0 in most cases) which is the actual mountable/unmountable drive. It may seems cumbersome, but this is how the OS handles the drives behind the scenes anyway. Moreover you may have more complex structures with LVM or RAID and for those cases it is necessary to handle the encrypted disk separately from its "children" disks.

For those interested, you can try PTB inside a VM :-)
Hope this helps.

Cheers
  Michele