Re: [OT] Spam

On Wednesday 28 October 2020 07:50:17 pm Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:59:24PM +0100, deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> > And what does working at the university has to do with the TDE user list,
> > I also do not understand.
>
> The context was being told that this mailing list is like having a job:
> it's about the social chit-chat. (That doesn't sound much like the jobs
> I've had. I guess some people are lucky enough to get paid to stand
> around the water-cooler and gossip all day long, but most people have to
> actually work.)

Ah, no.  Since I was the originator of “the context” let me clarify what I
thought was obvious...

On Tuesday 27 October 2020 01:02:17 pm Michael via tde-users wrote:
> (You have me curious at this point, have neither of you worked in an office
> environment before?  Random chit-chat is de facto / de jur for any group of
> people who have known each other for years / decades.

Any human endeavor (mailing list, corporate job, university employment) that
entails more than one person is subject to the universal law of humans, e.g.
that humans are social creatures and will “chit-chat.” [1]

The use of “worked in an office environment” was a reference to any group of
[non-blood related] people.  “Chit-chat” is a reference to any communication
between humans (and within this thread’s context a label of “non-productive”
is probably appropriate).

> Raging against the laws of the universe is all well and
> good, but seems kinda pointless...)

Any communication within a group of humans is going to annoy some sub-set of
that group.[2]  So, sorry, Janek, Jonesy, et al., there is very little that
can be done to satisfy the annoyed (non-social) sub-set.  Hence my
comment, “seems kinda pointless.”  Doubly pointless because now both groups
are annoyed for no real reason.

I can offer at least one constructive option in addition to what was also
offered prior [hyper-kitty(sp?) thing]:

If you can not stand the social aspects of this (or any other) list, then
please do unsubscribe until such time that you have a question you want
answered by the group.  Subscribe, get your answer, then unsubscribe again.

Yes this creates a one-sided taking and not giving, but my opinion is that
there are few of us ‘social’ members that will be upset by the lack
of ‘help-parity,’ and it won’t effect the solving of anyone’s problems.

Hopefully this clarification helps both the social and non-social members of
this group find a resolution they can implement for themselves that works to
maximize their own happiness.

Best Regards All,
Michael

[1] Sure, you can create artificial edge cases where you put two radically
introverted people together, but let’s try not to split hairs?

[2] We’re talking group dynamics that can be quantified through appropriate
scientific research, so again, let’s try not to split hairs?  Anyone is free
to visit their local collage library and ask a reference librarian for
background materials to explain such.