Re: kmail through ssh tunnel

On Thursday 08 October 2020 07:21:59 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 08 October 2020 01:55:36 am Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2020 Wed, 7 Oct 23:34:34 -0700
> >
> >  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> No offense Nik, your somewhereelse anthology left me a bit confused,
> attached is a filtered bash script I use to maintain the SSH tunnel.  In my
> use case, I’m always connected to the server anyway, so adding the tunnel
> just made sense.
>
> My KMail setup is (change whatever you need to for your specific mail
> setup):
>
> Menu >> Settings >> Configure, Accounts
>
> Receiving, Add, Account Type: POP3
>
> Tab: General
>
> Login: Mail account name
> Password: Mail account password
> Host: 127.0.0.1
> Port: 58110
>
> Yes: Store POP password
> {the rest whatever you normally do}
>
> Tab: Extras
>
> Encryption: None
> Authentication Method: Clear text
> {You can check what the server does, in my case it’s going through the
> tunnel on a box I own, so I leave it simple}
> {pipelining:  I’ve never enabled it, the warning is enough for me...}
>
> Sending, Add, Transport: SMTP
>
> Tab: General
>
> Host: 127.0.0.1
> Port: 58025
>
> Yes: Server requires authentication
> Login: Mail account name
> Password: Mail account password
> Yes: Store SMTP password
>
> Tab: Security
> Encryption: TLS
> Authentication Method: LOGIN
>
> # # #
>
> Hopefully that helps!
>
> Best,
> Michael

Thanks, Michael!

It's all grist for the mill. From these hints, together with a little reading
and study of the matter, together with what I've already done, I can probably
figure out the rest.

I did notice that Nik mentioned using an ssh tunnel for *all* system traffic,
and I like that idea, too. It sounds kinda like Tails, or its Devuan version,
Heads; I tried out both, but wanted to stick with my own Devuan system, so
that may show the way for me there.

Besides, certain sites won't function adequately for me over a proxy, no
matter what, when I need to pay bills or buy something, etc., so it's good to
be able to switch from a proxy to a direct connection now and then.

Bill