Re: [users] [users] [users] installing icecat from source packages - how2 draft

On Thursday 17 September 2020 07:05:53 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 17 September 2020 01:25:04 am deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> > J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> > > #2      debian packages don't help much on an RPM-based system. :-)
> >
> > then build RPM or isolate as suggested, so that you can manage the
> > installed software easier later (for example if you have to update)
>
> I can't say why, but it was way easier in CentOS (RPM) than Ubuntu, Devuan,
> MX (apt) to compile from source and keep it updated that way.  It wasn’t
> until I switched to non-systemd Debian derivatives that I ever saw a need
> to build a package.
>
> 2 cents,
> Michael

O, you systemd fanatics, always trying to convert us, by any means possible!

Actually, I don't quite understand: Why would non-systemd create a perceived
need to build packages? Am I to undertand that by "non-systemd Debian
derivatives" you mean the AntiX and maybe MX distros? Devuan is non-systemd,
but you don't seem to include that among the derivatives.

Please clarify.

Bill