RPM vs. apt, compiling vs. packaging

On Thursday 17 September 2020 10:10:57 am William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 17 September 2020 07:05:53 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> > >
> > > then build RPM or isolate as suggested, so that you can manage the
> > > installed software easier later (for example if you have to update)
> >
> > I can't say why, but it was way easier in CentOS (RPM) than Ubuntu,
> > Devuan, MX (apt) to compile from source and keep it updated that way.  It
> > wasn’t until I switched to non-systemd Debian derivatives that I ever saw
> > a need to build a package.
> >
> > 2 cents,
> > Michael
>
> O, you systemd fanatics, always trying to convert us, by any means
> possible!
>
> Actually, I don't quite understand: Why would non-systemd create a
> perceived need to build packages? Am I to undertand that by "non-systemd
> Debian derivatives" you mean the AntiX and maybe MX distros? Devuan is
> non-systemd,* but you don't seem to include that among the derivatives.
>
> Please clarify.
>
> Bill
>
> P.S.* Sorry, but I misread that line. I see that I took it that you were
> including Devuan in the crowd of "way easier to compile".
>
> Still, I don't quite get why you say this.

Hi Bill,

It's just my perception based upon limited data, the specific distributions
listed are just the ones I personally used.  Non-systemd was just my turning
point from going from RPM to apt, so systemd isn’t really a factor, it’s just
a reference point.  I used CentOS for years on my desktop as it’s what I use
on production servers (still do, not that I like it, but there’s no real
alternative for what I provide my clients).

In CentOS “compile and go” pretty much just “worked” and I never had to
reinstall a system from scratch because of a bad compile.  You do have to
re-compile depending on kernel upgrades, but it wasn’t hard.

In apt, I’ve had to (twice now before I learned “don’t do that”) completely
reinstall a system from scratch because of compiling instead of packaging.
For what it’s worth, I think apt makes creating a package and local
repository easier (that’s a bunch of speculation on my part since I never
created an actual RPM).

I could completely SWAG that the difference is because of intended end users.
Red Hat is enterprise business, e.g. it better work and it better not change.
Debian is {huh, I don’t actually know, best guess is individual user???}
skipping that, Debian has ~900K US cash in the bank so they aren’t really
beholden to anyone, so why should they care if they piss off their user base?
The irony being they now can’t hire developers (which I’ll attribute to
systemd, hah!)

Sorry for the confusion, and I wasn’t trying to pick on any specific
distribution.

Best,
Michael

PS:  If anyone really knows the answer to the new Subject, would you chime in?
Bill made me curious what the reality is...