Re: systemd-homed - new thread

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

I agree, lots of thread drift here. We really ought to start a new thread once
we get into philosophy and politics and stuff.

For me, the jury is still out on homed, at least as a concept. All those
benefits do seem double-plus good and all. What I don't like is systemd,
because it was thrust upon us without consent, over the objections of many
developers themselves, and goes directly against the philosophy of Debian
(too much explanation required here).

Maybe it is a good thing; some seem to think so, but systemd takes control
away from users themselves, in many small ways. I don't like it myself mainly
because my system doesn't run so well with systemd.

I have only minimalistic use of systemd so I don't know beyond things I read online.

accordingly, I haven't noticed how control is taken away except insofar as I am not familiar with its ways and means so there's a whole new 'language' to learn.

but as you indicate, this takes us into a wide and deep discussion of the philosophy and politics of systemd and of (l)unix. we needn't plunge into that here.

I think sometime I'll get all systemd-ed up on a laptop and get a feel for it.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.