Re: data recovery - recommendations & strategies

On Thursday 10 September 2020 01:02:08 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 10 September 2020 10:44:42 BorgLabs - Kate Draven via tde-users
> > I understand. I mean swap out the IDE boards on the drives.
> > Make sure to mark the bad one so you don't try to reuse it.
> >
> > I've done that only a few times but it works. They must be the same
> > model.
>
> I do have another 1.5 TB hard drive (though I would need to backup its data
> first); however, it is WD, not Seagate, and I would not willingly buy
> another Seagate hard drive.

Check ebay for a used drive (same exact model!), you might find one for $10.

What Kate is referring to is what data recovery services basically do in
reverse. *  You’d be taking the electronic guts out of a ‘good’ drive and
sticking them in your ‘bad’ drive.  Expect to chuck both of them into the
trash when done.

Like Kate, I’d guess it’s the electronics, not the platters.  Any physical
damage to a platter is usually a lot more than a few bytes.  And would be
getting worse every time it was powered on.

HTH,
Michael

* They usually rip the platters out of a 'bad' drive and stick them in
a 'good' drive housing.  But they have clean rooms and the like...